Friday, August 9, 2013

Diary of an Idiom User

An idiom is a group of words in a fixed order that have a particular meaning  that is different from the meanings of each word on its own . Read the following diary entry and find out the meaning of the idioms used .

"...jumping for joy ! "
Friday 17th of July

Hooray1! Today was the last day of school! Now I have 6 weeks of summer holidays: no school, no teachers, and best of all- no boring work! I’m so happy, I’m walking on air2! I did feel a little down in the dumps3 saying goodbye to all my mates4, but as soon as I left the school gates I saw the sunny side of things5 again. And now I’m positively jumping for joy6! I’m as free as a bird7! I’ll see my best friends anyway because most of them live just a stone’s throw away8 from me.
Tomorrow, I’m going to celebrate my first day of freedom by having a nice, long lie-in9, and then I’ll watch cartoons all morning. Maybe in the afternoon, if it’s sunny, I’ll call round Jamie’s gaff10 and see if he wants to take the ball to the park for a knock around11. And then I’ll do the same the next day, and the next day, and the next day...! Hooray for the holidays!

Glossary
  1. Hooray es una interjección y su usa como ‘¡hurra!’ en español.
  2. I’m walking on air – esta frase, traducida literalmente, significa ‘estoy caminando sobre el aire’. Se usa para decir que estás en las nubes, es decir, muy feliz.
  3. To be down in the dumps es sentirse triste o deprimido.
  4. Mate es una palabra coloquial que significa ‘amigo’.
  5. To see the sunny side es ver el lado bueno de algo.
  6. To jump for joy – dar saltos de alegría
  7. Free as a bird es una frase idiomática muy común. Significa ‘libre como un pájaro’.
  8. Stone es piedra y throw es tirar, así que la frase literalmente significa ‘a tiro de piedra’. Se usa para decir ‘a dos pasos de…’.
  9. To have a lie-in es una frase coloquial en el inglés británico que significa ‘levantarse tarde’.
  10. Gaff es otra palabra coloquial del inglés británico. Significa ‘casa’. Hay que tener cuidado de no confundirla con la palabra gaffe que significa ‘metida de pata’.
  11. Cuando se habla del futbol, to knock around es jugar de una manera muy casual.



No comments: