Thursday, April 16, 2015

Silent Letters in English

In English some words have silent letters. This means that how a word is pronounced and how it is spelt is different. We write the silent letter when we spell the word, but it is not heard when we speak.



Here are some examples. The red letter in each word is silent.

Silent B

The lift is broken, we'll have to climb the stairs.

A baby sheep is called a lamb.

Silent C

There's a strong scent of flowers in the garden.

The final scene in the movie was exciting.

Silent D

My English lesson is on Wednesday.

I had a sandwich for lunch.

Silent G

I've never been to a foreign country.

The dog gnawed on a big bone.

Silent H

You can hear your echo when you shout in the cave.

I can only play a few chords on the guitar.

Silent K

I don't know what to do next.

I hurt my knee playing football.

Silent N

Autumn is my favourite season.

My brother is a journalist, he writes a weekly column in the local newspaper.



Silent P

She's studying psychology in university.

Make sure you get a receipt when you buy your new shoes.

Silent T

Please listen to what I tell you.

We applied for a mortgage so we can buy a new home.

Silent U

Would you like a biscuit with your coffee?

Guess who I saw yesterday?

Silent W

I'll wrap her birthday presents tonight.

We were looking for you in the wrong room.

No comments: