Monday, January 9, 2012

The Here and Now

At the end of the year, it’s common to review the past 365 days, and then at the beginning of the year, we make resolutions [1] for the next 365 days. During this period of time, we look backwards and forwards but we don’t take enough time to look at the here and now. For this reason, I think it would be appropriate to reflect on the wise words of the Turtle Guru from the movie Kung Fu Panda, which you probably haven’t heard in the original English version.


Turtle: I see you have found our sacred tree of Heavenly wisdom [2].
Panda: Oh! Is that what this is? I’m so sorry! I though it was just a regular peach tree.
Turtle: I understand. You eat when you are upset.
Panda: Upset [3]?! I’m not upset. What makes you think I’m upset?
Turtle: So why are you upset?
Panda: I probably sucked [4] more today than anyone in the history of Kung Fu. In the history of China. In the history of sucking!
Turtle: Probably
Panda: And the five. Man, you should’ve seen them. They totally hate me.
Turtle: Totally.
Panda: How is Master Shi Fu ever going to turn me into the Dragon Warrior? I mean I’m not like the Five. I’ve got no claws [5], no wings, no venom. Even Mantis has those thingies [6]. Maybe I should just quit and go back to making noodles.
Turtle: Quit, don’t quit. Noodles, don’t noodles. You are too concerned with what was and what will be. There’s a saying: Yesterday is history. / Tomorrow is a mystery. / But today is a gift. That is why it is called the present!


[1] propósitos, [2] sabiduría, [3] alterado, [4] era una mierda, [5] garras, [6] “thingy” refiere a una “thing” cuyo nombre hemos olvidado 

No comments: