Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

Call something off [1]means to cancel it. Call the whole thing off [2] means to completely end it all. The title of the light-hearted [3] duet Let's Call the Whole Thing Off, written by George and Ira Gershwin, refers to breaking up a relationship [4]. The couple singing is always disagreeing and arguing. But by the end, they realize that they can’t live without each other and agree to disagree!

What makes this song amusing are the different accents of the words they disagree about. The first pronunciation is an American accent and the second is British. See if you can notice the difference!

This song was first performed [5] by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in the movie Shall We Dance (1937). But the version below is sung by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.


Things have come to a pretty pass. Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other. While I go for this and that,
Goodness knows what the end will be. Oh I don't know where I'm at.
It looks as if we two will never be one. Something must be done:

You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither
Either, either, neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potato, You like tomato and I like tomato
Potato, potato, tomato, tomato, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjamas, I'll wear pyjamas and give up pyajamas
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the whole off off
Let's call the whole thing off.

You say laughter and I say laughter, You say after and I say after
Laughter, laughter, after, after, Let's call the whole thing off,

You like vanilla and I like vanilla, You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you go for oysters and I go for oysters, I'll order oysters and cancel the oysters
For we know we need each other so we,

Better call the calling off off. Let's call the whole thing off.

You say either and you say either, You say neither and you say neither
Either, either, neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and you like potato, You like tomato and you like tomato
Potato, potato, tomato, tomato, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and you like pyjamas, I'll wear pyjamas. You got pyjamas
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the whole off off
Let's call the whole thing off. Let's call the whole thing off.




[1] cancelar, suspender, [2] dejamoslo de una vez, acabomos con todo esto, [3] alegre, [4] romper una relación, [5] interpretada

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I Love this song.