Monday, January 17, 2011

The Man Your Man Could Smell Like

Sometimes the ads (anuncios) can be more successful than the actual programmes. This Old Spice tv commercial ( anuncio ) is a case in point (buen ejemplo) .It rapidly became a massive hit on YouTube, resulting in millions of views. The slogan "The Man Your Man could smell like" ( el hombre al que tu hombre podría oler -es decir: tu hombre podría oler como él) ) also became very popular.The commercial is especially fun if you watch it with your partner (pareja).
Pay special attention to the use of like(1) and the preposition on. The man (Isaiah Mustafa ) talks very fast but the text isn't really difficult to understand and you can also check the script below .

And remember...anything is possible (cualquier cosa es posible) when your man smells like Old Spice. I am on a horse.

1- Cuidado en no confundir este like (como) con el verbo like (gustar) .He likes horses (Le gustan los caballos) He smells like a horse (Huele como un caballo)




SCRIPT “Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Now watch the spoof (parodia) Sesame Street did on this advertisement (anuncio)Anything is possible when you smell like a monster and you know the word on !!



SCRIPT Hello, everybody, now look at yourself, now back to me, now back at yourself, now back to me. Sadly, you are not a Monster, but if you listen to Grover you will learn all about the word: “On”. Just as this monster does. Look down, back up. Where am I, ah, “I am on a boat”. What is in your hand? Back at me. I have it, it is a clam with two tickets to that thing your love. “On my nose”. Anything is possible when you smell like a Monster and you know the word “On”. “I am on a horse”.
[Cow]Moo

Discussion:

Did you like the commercial or did you find it offensive ?
Do you think it is sexist or just a satire ?

No comments: