Friday, November 12, 2010

Manuel's English

Manuel is the waiter at Fawlty Towers hotel and he is also learning English !! Watch this hilarious ( very funny) video of the famous BBC sitcom (situation comedy). Have fun !



Transcription


Manuel: You see, I speak English well.I learn it from a book.
Hello, I am English, hello. How are you Sir ? I can speak English.
Hello Major! How are you today ?
Major: AaaaaaaaaIIII I am fine, thank you.
Manuel: It's a beautiful day today.
Major: Is it ? Yes, yes, I suppose it is.
Manuel: I can speak English. I learn it from a book.
Major: Did you ? Did you really ? Oh. There you are, Fawlty !
Faulty: Yes, I am just going to open up , Major.
Major: Oh, fine. . I say , that’s a remarkable (1) animal you have there Fawlty. Where did you get (2) it ?
Fautly: Sampson’s in the town.
Major: Really ? Was it expensive (3) ?
Fawlty: 12 pounds I think.
Major: Good Lord. Japanese was it ?
Fawlty: Canadian , I think Major.
Major: I didn’t know Canadians were as clever as that.(4) My God.
Fawlty: He’s started early today….

Vocabulary


1- Remarkable = unusual, special.
2- Get = en este contexto, comprar. Where did you get it ? = Where did you buy it ?
3- Expensive= caro
4- I didn’t know Canadians were as clever as that = No sabía que los canadienses fuesen tan listos.

No comments: