Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Get Back to Basics

Get is a very versatile word. Not only does it have various meanings by itself, but get can have even more when combined with prepositions to form phrasal verbs. These phrasal verbs are very useful for talking about daily life, as you can see in the story below.

From Monday to Friday, I have to get up [1] at seven o’clock in the morning for work. This means that I get out [2] of bed and walk into the bathroom where I have a quick shower. After having tea and toast for breakfast, I get on [3] a train that goes to the city centre. Twenty minutes later I get off [4] the train at Manchester Piccadilly.

I have a very tiring day at the office, but with the help of six cups of coffee every day I manage to get through [5] the week. I get along [6] well with my colleagues, with whom I enjoy several pints of beer at the local Irish pub. In the early hours of Saturday morning, I get back [7] home at four in the morning. On these occasions, I get into [8] a taxi that takes me back home, as there are no buses or trains at that time. I feel exhausted when I get out [9] of the taxi to pay the taxi driver.

Can you understand the meanings of these phrasal verbs by their context? Let’s see if you can match them with their meanings below.

(a) arise, (b) enter a car, (c) enter public transport, (d) finish, (e) have a good relationship, (f) leave, (g) leave a car, (h) leave public transport, (i) return from somewhere.

The answers are in the comments below.

1 comment:

Home English said...

Answers: 1.a, 2.f, 3.c, 4.h, 5.d, 6.e, 7.i, 8.b, 9.g