Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thematic Phrasal Verbs Conversations


In the following mini conversations, we have selected 10 useful thematic phrasal verbs for situations on the phone and at work.


" ...to hold on..."



1. Telephone Phrasal Verbs

Agnetha: Hello. Can I speak to Björn? He asked me to call him back yesterday.
Receptionist: Yes. Can you hold on?
Agnetha: Yes. No problem.
Receptionist: I’ll just put you through now.
Agnetha: Hi, Björn. It’s Agnetha. Can you talk?
Björn: Oh. Hi, Agnetha. I’m afraid ( me temo que) I have to hang up as I have a meeting in two minutes. I’ll ring you later this afternoon. Bye for now.
Agnetha: Bye.

To call someone back (to return a phone call)      
To hold on (to wait on the phone)
To put someone through (to transfer a phone call)   
To hang up (to finish the phone call)
 

2. Work Phrasal Verbs

Björn: Hi, Agnetha. I’m sorry I couldn’t speak to you earlier. I was very busy with various meetings. How are you?
Agnetha: OK, thanks. I’m now working as a news reporter for Sweden TV.
Björn: Congratulations! I’m so pleased for you. Was it difficult to get in?
Agnetha: Yes, it was. After filling out the application form, the hardest part was getting through all the entry tests.
Björn: Do you have to work long hours?
Agnetha: Oh, the hours are terrible. I have to work a 60-hour week.
Björn: Mmm. You should watch that. You could find work taking over your life!
Agnetha: Yes, I think you’re right. I need to slow down and work less. What worries me is the last two predecessors in this job were burnt out after working less than a year. Well, I’ve got to go now. I’ll see you later. Bye.
Björn: Bye.

To get in (to be accepted in a company)    
To fill out (to complete an application form)
To get through (to pass a test)      
To take over (to dominate)
To slow down (to work less)
To burn out (to be exhausted from working too much)
 
Phrasal Verb Test
 
Well, we hope you will be able to practise these phrasal verbs in your English conversations. Before you do, here is our phrasal verb test where you rewrite the sentences with the appropriate phrasal verb replacing the formal verb. 

1.His mum will phone him later.
2.I'll transfer your call now.
3.Did you pass all your exams at university?
4.James is working 12 hours a day. He needs to work less.
5.Sarah is completing an application form.


Solutions: 1. His mum will ring him back. / 2. I'll put you through now. / 3. Did you get through all your exams at university? / 4. James is working 12 hours a day. He needs to slow down. / 5. Sarah is filling out an application form. / 

No comments: